Applying for Peer Mentor Positions
The Application for the University Studies Mentor Scholarship for the 2013-2014 Academic Year is now open for Undergraduate, Peer Mentors and for Graduate Mentors. All applications must be completed and submitted by 11:59 pm on January 22, 2013.
Apply Here: Application for Peer Mentor Positions
- Applicants will be notified of their initial status by February 8, 2013.
- For those selected, interviews will take place mid-February.
- Finalists will be notified by March 11, 2013 and will attend a required spring training.
Our scholarship, the "University Studies Peer Mentor Scholarship," is listed under "General University Scholarships," which you can find by clicking "Application for Peer Mentor Positions". Please note, the Graduate and Undergraduate Mentor Scholarships are listed under the same link.
Portland State University and the University Studies Program are equal opportunity employers and Peer Mentors receive competitive compensation for their work.
Who is eligible to apply?
All applicants must have a 3.25 GPA. Undergraduates who will have successfully completed 90 credits or more by September 2013 may apply to become Peer Mentors for Freshman Inquiry classes. Students who are applying to a PSU Graduate Program or are alaredy admitted to a graduate programs by September 2013 may apply to become Graduate Mentors for Sophomore Inquiry classes. Unfortunately, at this time Post-Bac students are not eligible to apply.
University Studies Mentor Program Application Hints and Tips
- Apply early! The General University Scholarship application is used by many programs, and it is lengthy. Be sure to get an early start and give recommenders ample time to write you a letter of reference.
- Be sure to save your work! If you have not finished your application and you do not save before you exit the online application, your work will not be saved and you will have to start over again.
- Remember to select "Review Answers and Submit" at the end of your application!
- Check your spam filter for mentor e-mails and adjust your filter settings to avoid these e-mails going into your junk box in the future.
What are the additional requirements for the application?
Along with the application, you are required to write two short essays including the University Studies Mentor Essay and the Diversity Essay.
*Please note that if you are only applying for the Mentor Program's scholarship, you do not have to complete the essays for other departments or scholarships. You only need to completethe University Studies Mentor Essay (page 5 of the scholarship application) and the Diversity Essay (page 2 of the scholarship application).
Two letters of recommendation are required. One of the letters of recommendation must be an academic reference. The other recommendation may be from a person who can speak to your life in the community. The letters of recommendation are submitted electronically. You will be asked to provide an email address for those who are writing your letters of recommendation.
If you have any questions, please contact the University Studies office: 503-725-5890.
What is the recruitment and hiring process?
Applications are due by Tuesday, January 22, 2013. Keep in mind this deadline is earlier than all other scholarship applications.
Applications will then be reviewed for minimum requirements, and those who meet the requirements will have their applications forwarded onto a committee for review.
Applicants selected for interviews will be contacted by email to set up an interview time. Interviews will take place in mid-February.
Some interviewees will be invited as finalists to attend a mandatory training course that takes place during the Spring Term.
Pending Fall enrollment projections, students that successfully complete the Spring training course will be offered contracts to begin mentoring in the fall or placed on a wait list for an open class.